We believe that…
- The Holy Scriptures, as originally given by God, are divinely inspired, entirely trustworthy and the supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- There is one God, eternally existent in three Persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. God created the universe and pronounced it good.
- Our Lord Jesus Christ is God visible in a body, born of the Virgin Mary. He lived a sinless human life. During his earthly ministry he did miracles. He died in our place to atone for our sins. He was buried, and on the third day arose from the dead. He ascended into Heaven. He is the only Mediator and Saviour of the world. He will personally return in power and authority.
- Humankind, male and female, was created in the image of God, with consequent dignity, delegated authority and creation stewardship. As a result of the Fall, all people are lost and sinful, in need of salvation.
- Salvation is available only through the redemptive work of the Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ and his salvation are received by repentance and faith, apart from human effort, as the Holy Spirit brings about new birth.
- The Holy Spirit indwells, empowers and equips each believer, who is hereby obliged and enabled to live a holy life, to witness and to serve the Lord Jesus Christ in His Kingdom concerns, including worship, prayer, evangelism, discipling, compassion, justice and righteousness.
- All believers in the Lord Jesus Christ are spiritually united with each other. These comprise the Church, the Body of Christ of which He is Head.
- All the dead will be raised on the Last Day; those who are saved to eternal life and those who are lost to eternal condemnation.
OBJECTS AND POWERS OF THE COMPANY
Company law requires that all companies state their objectives in their founding documents. In ESSA’s Memorandum of Incorporation, ESSA’s stated objectives are:
The objects of the Company are to –
- Run an evangelical academic community, in partnership with the church, preparing men and women for ministry and mission in Africa and beyond.
- Statement of Faith: the Curriculum shall be based on and in accordance with the Statement of Faith.
- Measure all activities undertaken by the Company in accordance with the Institutional Goals and Objectives
- To offer:
- A Bachelor of Theology as a 3 year full time or part time study programme at NQF level 7.
- Additional informal theological training opportunities in Theology in accordance with the Statement of Faith.
- Additional formal theological training in the form of an Honours and/or Masters program if accreditation is obtained.
- To collaborate with other Theological Colleges and Tertiary Institutions to offer extended areas of study and enable students to qualify for higher qualifications or further areas of study in conjunction with the qualifications received from the Company.
- To provide both theoretical and practical training in leadership and ministry skills.
- To manage the Seminary property, which will be used for full time or part time study.
- To secure and maintain, if possible, full registration as a Private Higher Education Institution (or applicable registration) with the Department of Higher Education and Training (or any alternate authority), as may be appointed by the government to supervise the accreditation of qualifications issued by the Company.
- To manage the rental property portfolio for the specific purpose of supplementing the Company income and ensuring the future viability of the Company as an educational institution, as well as leasing rental accommodation to students.
- The Company shall have all the powers and capacity of an individual that are capable of being exercised or possessed by a juristic person.
ESSA’s mission statement: Our Mission is to train dedicated Christian leaders, in an urban setting, for the Church-in-Mission by providing quality tertiary education that is Evangelical, Holistic and Contextual.