Our Mission is to train dedicated Christian leaders, in an urban setting, for the Church-in- Mission by providing quality tertiary education that is Evangelical, Holistic and Contextual.
Our Vision is to offer a relevant mode of theological education to those who are involved in ministry, have realized the need for theological training, but can’t utilize the residential model or the distance model for various reasons.
We aim, within an urban, African context, to produce dedicated servant-leaders for the church-in-mission who:
- Are able to reflect critically and articulate a personal theological position that is Evangelical and missiological in emphasis and which shows appreciation for historical and contextual processes and the richness of African culture;
- Have developed communication, administrative, inter-personal, leadership and academic skills;
- Are teachable, servant-hearted, compassionate, concerned for justice and whose spirituality bears godly fruit.
- To provide excellent practical Christian theological education at a tertiary level for both lay people and clergy
- To work in partnership with the local church and parachurch organisations.
- To support, advance and promote the growth of the Christian faith.
- To play an active role in the community in the areas of social development and upliftment.
- Bible centered – The Holy Scriptures, as originally given by God, are divinely inspired, entirely trustworthy and the supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- Missiological emphasis – the study of the nature of God, the created world, and the Church, as well as the interaction among these three must be reflected in each and every course at ESSA.
- Community oriented – Knowledge for the sake of knowledge is dead. Only if the gained insights are applied and will bring change to the better for communities is it worth to gain knowledge at all.